Situated and reputation is derived from its success and

Situated 2 kilometers
North-West of Sheffield City Centre, Kelham Island is one of Sheffield’s eleven
designated Quarters and the former industrial epicenter of the city.

The Kelham
Island Industrial Conservation area covers approximately 12 hectares and was
founded in 1985 in order to highlight and record the architectural or historic
interest of the industrial area.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!

order now


potential to harness the power of the River Don, running through Kelham Island,
allowed the area to develop its industrial potential in the 12 Century. Kelham
Island itself, see figure 1.4, dates back to the 1180s when a goit was created
in order to transport water from the River Don to the Lord of the Manor William
De Lovetot’s Town Corn Mill.


Up until
1637, much of the history of Kelham Island is unknown. In 1637, the town
armourer, Kellam Homer, set up a grinding workshop and waterwheel on the
island. Originally called Kellam Waterwheel, the name was changed in the 19th
Century when the spelling was altered to Kelham and the island was given the
same name.


historic character and reputation is derived from its success and association
with the steel, cutlery and silverware industries.

In the late
18th Century and early 19th Century, Sheffield began to
develop into an important industrial centre, after specialising in metal work
over the last two centuries.

Island illustrates the rapid development of these successful industries during
the 19th Century. By 1810, water power along the River Don began to give way to
coal and steam in order to power the industries.

As a result,
Kelham Island became a host for all kinds of manufacturers and industries in
the early 19th Century. An example of this includes Kelham Iron
Works, built by John Crowley after buying land on the Island in 1829, which
made various Iron products – lawn mowers, corn grinders, bicycles and
decorative items.

example is Globe Works, opposite the entrance to the Island on Alma Street
(site 3, see figure 1.4), which highlights the complex development of the area.


The site was
bought by the City in 1890s, which demolished the Iron Works buildings and
replaced them with an electricity generating station power for the City’s new
tram system. The power station was still in operation until the 1930s, after
which the buildings were used as storage space and workshops. Nowadays, these
buildings house the collections, displays and workshops of Kelham Island